Content Management Systems are the software systems that provide website authoring, collaboration, and administration tools designed to allow users to build and manage website content without having to code it. If you are planning to create a website using any content management system, WordPress vs Drupal vs Joomla vs Magento vs Prestashop seems to be the first question in your mind. Choosing a single among the best 5 options is a tough decision because of many similarities in these Content Management Systems.
In this article, I have tried to help you in choosing the right platform along with a comprehensive overview of the similarities, advantages, and disadvantages.
WordPress vs Drupal vs Joomla vs Magento vs Prestashop: The CMS War
|Software||Open Source (Free)||Open Source (Free)||Open Source (Free)||Open Source (Free)||Open Source (Free)|
|What they say about their CMS||“WordPress is open source software you can use to create a beautiful website, blog, or app.”||“Drupal is content management software. It’s used to make many of the websites and applications you use every day.”||“Joomla! Is an award-winning content management system (CMS) which enables you to build websites and powerful online applications.”||“Magento is the leading platform for open commerce innovation. Every year, Magento handles over $100 billion in gross merchandise volume”||PrestaShop is one of the world’s most popular e-commerce platforms, and most successful open source projects.”|
|CMS Market Share(W3Techs)||63.5%||2.6%||3.9%|
|Installation||Using One-click Installer or manually within 5 minutes||Using One-click Installer or manually within 10 minutes||Using One-click Installer or manually within 10 minutes||Using One-click Installer or manually within 10 minutes||Using One-click Installer or manually within 15 minutes|
|Ease of Use||Beginner-friendly (5/5)||Requires Coding Skills (3.5/5)||Somewhat Beginner-friendly (4/5)||Requires Coding Skills (3/5)||Somewhat Beginner-Friendly (4.5/5)|
|Themes & Templates||7,707+ Official FREE Themes 11,000+ Premium Themes at ThemeForest||2,897+ Official Drupal Themes 500+ Premium Drupal Themes at ThemeForest||NO Official Template Directory 1,100+ Premium Joomla Templates at ThemeForest||10 + Official Magento Themes 600+ Premium Magento Themes at ThemeForest||3,252+ Official Prestashop Themes 500+ Premium Prestashop Themes at ThemeForest|
|Plugins & Extensions||56,884+ Official FREE Plugins (Excluding Paid Plugins on the web)||45,861+ Drupal Module at Official Directory||8,000+ Official Extensions (FREE+Paid)||3,145+ Magento Official Extensions||4,150+ Prestashop Module at Official Directory|
|Websites Using this Platform||Sonymusic, BBC America, The New York Times||NASA, White House, Australian Government, NCAA||Harvard University, The Hill, The Fashion Spot||SIGMA, Nike, Land Rover, cox & cox||Monsieur Chaussure, KliknKlik, Sumo Lounge|
Popular Content Management Systems and Their Cost Estimations
All the Content Management Platforms are designed according to a specific business requirement. So, if you choose the right one it can help you to get higher ROI value.
- Each of these five content management systems is totally free because of its open-source nature. You can download any platform from their official website in just a few clicks.
- For making your website live on the internet you have to bear other costs like domain name and web hosting.
- Domain name is the address of your business or personal website on the internet and it costs around $15 annually. The domain of this website is Temok.com.
- Web hosting is the space on the internet on which you will store your web pages, images, videos, content and other data. Good web hosting starts at ~$0.5 a month and increases as per your business requirements.
Domain and web hosting costs are the same for each content management system, but you have to pay some extra amount to enhance their native features by adding additional plugins, modules, or design templates. WordPress vs Drupal vs Joomla vs Magento vs Prestashop can be differentiated based on the estimated price of plugins and themes.
Following are the minimum and maximum price rates to enhance the functionality of the website:
- WordPress plugins: $0-$1,051
- Drupal Modules: $0-$100
- Joomla Extensions: $0-$70
- Magento Extensions: $0-$28,700
- Prestashop Addons: $0-$89
Following are the themes (installable design packages) to give a look and feel to your website:
- WordPress themes available for $0-$250
- Drupal themes: $0-$80
- Joomla themes: $0-$200
- Magento themes: $0-$399
- Prestashop themes: $0-$12000
If you get the free plugins and themes then your bill will be:
$15 (domain name) +$0.66*12($7.92) =~$22.92 per year
Note: This price is based on shared hosting that is the first choice of freelancers, personal websites or beginners to build their website but it is not recommended for big e-commerce stores.
WordPress vs Drupal vs Joomla vs Magento vs Prestashop: Pros and Cons
What is WordPress?
WordPress is the most widely used content management system written in the PHP and uses the MySQL database, but there is no need to learn to code for building your website using this CMS. It is a beginner-friendly website development platform having great and powerful built-in blogging features. WordPress is an opensource solution that allows the developers to study the CMS code and develop their own plugins and templates (WordPress themes) for it.
You can compare WordPress versus Drupal or other Content Management Systems, but each one has its pros and cons. So, in this article, I am not going specifically to the Drupal vs WordPress but all popular platforms to help in choosing the right one to boost your business within a short time period.
WordPress Administration Dashboard
- Flexible, simple and adaptable for changing business needs
- A lot of plugins and themes for almost all the functionality
- Opensource with great developers and community support
- Easy to use and best suitable for beginners as well as professionals
- Preinstalled plugin and template function with customization options
- Allows you to manage your website from anywhere and any computer
- No HTML or Text Editor required to format pages, posts and other changings
- Search Engines love WordPress websites because of their clean and simple code
- WordPress has built-in mobile responsiveness Blog and Ready to go.
- Have Multiple Users with the option of assigning them different roles
- Security and website vulnerability
- Slow page speed and not as easy as you think
- Plugins compatibility and their frequent updates
- Easy to create only simple websites (blogs, landing page websites)
What is Drupal?
Drupal is an opensource CMS (Content Management System) used to build amazing digital experiences with its standard features, including reliable performance, easy content authoring and excellent security. It is mostly used by higher education institutions, NGOs, Governments and larger enterprises.
Drupal Administration Dashboard
- Customization possibilities for a wide variety of content types
- Enterprise-level security by offering regular patches
- Additional custom features with the help of different modules and themes
- Developers and community support for making your work innovative
- Drupal comes with Thousands of free Modules
- Best suitable for high-traffic spikes
- Drupal delivers a lot of professional and readymade Themes
- Neat code and compelling modules
- Professional online community and plenty of additional functions
- Built-in multilingual functionality and high scalability
- Drupal vs WordPress: Drupal is more complex and requires coding skills
- Plugin compatibility issues
- Website speed issues if not optimized
What is Joomla?
Joomla is an opensource CMS (Content Management System) used to build powerful dynamic websites and mobile-ready applications. It is more suitable for those developers who are not afraid to “get their hands dirty” working with servers. Joomla started as a content management system meant to serve portal-like websites, but nowadays it is perfectly capable to run any type of website.
Joomla Administration Dashboard
- Easy to use and install
- A lot of Plugins and templates
- Great community support and build-in options
- It is free and opensource
- More suitable for Multipurpose websites like government applications or organizational websites
- It is not very complicated and difficult
- Thousands of templates and themes are available
- Joomla website be easily migrated to any server
- Great SEO with better caching and performance mechanisms
- One-click updates and upgrades options
- Joomla vs WordPress: Joomla is more complex
- Plugins and backward compatibility issues
- The smaller marketplace of plugins and extensions
What is Magento?
Magento is an opensource CMS that provides online merchants with a flexible and scalable e-commerce platform. It also provides control over the design, content and functionality of the store along with SEO, digital marketing and catalog-management tools.
Magento Administration Dashboard
- Opensource solution packed with e-commerce features including SEO functionality, marketing suite, catalog, website and order management.
- Magento has advanced testing capabilities
- Highly scalable and mobile-friendly
- More flexible and allows third-party integrations
- Great community support
- A highly functional and global platform
- Modern frontend and intuitive backend functionality
- Opensource code for adding advanced functionality and features
- It allows users to power multiple magneto stores from a single install
- Great options for inventory management
- It is expensive and time-consuming solution
- Bad product support
- Cost of ownership
What is Prestashop?
Prestashop is a free and opensource ecommerce website development platform written in the PHP programming language with the support for MySQL DBMS and used to create & manage online businesses. It has wonderful interface for management and offers advanced features including advanced backup schemes, easy accessibility and high reliability to increase the website credibility.
Prestashop Administration Dashboard
- Opensource and Easy to install
- Budget-Friendly solution
- Easy Customization and administration
- Demographic assistance
- Secure payment and minimal system requirements
- Easy to use and maintain without technical brilliance
- International shipping, payments and promotional tools
- Good SEO, email follow-up automation, catalog and site management features
- Limited scalability
- Unprofessional design
- Expensive modules
You have realized after the study of WordPress vs Drupal vs Joomla vs Magento vs Prestashop that which one is more suitable for your particular business requirements. If you are directly landed on the summary without reading the complete article, then here is the short overview of all these popular website development platforms. Before choosing any of the following development platforms, it is mandatory to register a domain name that is more suitable to represent your business.
WordPress is perfect for beginners or non-tech users to create and run a simple blog/website using any theme according to a particular niche. They can easily get the required functionality with the help of thousands of free or paid plugins. It is easier to manage and run your WordPress website with managed WordPress cloud hosting or Managed WooCommerce cloud hosting for setting up an online store.
Drupal is the most advanced content management system that requires good technical knowledge including HTML, PHP, and other required coding skills. Drupal and WordPress both are website development platforms but it is up to you which one is more suitable for your business requirements. Drupal is more suitable for business management systems, news websites and commercial portals. Get managed Drupal cloud hosting and host your websites on the internet using cloud technology.
Joomla! have market share of 3.9% and primarily used of database-driven websites with lots of products and content. So, if you want to build an e-commerce store then get managed Joomla cloud hosting to make your dreams come true.
Magento requires good knowledge of coding, so it is highly recommended for those who are tech-savvy or enterprise-level businesses with their own developers. If you are ready then get managed magneto cloud hosting and
Prestashop is not as easy as WordPress, not as difficult as Magento and more suitable for those who are looking to launch a smaller store. Get the managed prestashop cloud hosting and setup your online store today.