So, you were just about to start browsing the internet as usual. The internet wasn’t working. In an attempt to fix it, you hit the diagnose or troubleshoot button. If the error that appeared is “DNS server not responding” as shown in the image below, this article is for you.
This article won’t waste your valuable time by telling you what a DNS server is. We will jump straight into the solution to solve this error. If you are interested in reading more about “what a DNS server is” and “what it does”, click here. If not, continue reading for an easy solution to this immediate problem.
The easiest way to fix this problem is to try and use a different web browser. Do this even if you want to keep using the same web browser. The purpose of this step is to diagnose whether the problem is related to your browser or something else. If you are using Google chrome, try Firefox or Internet explorer or safari or any other browser for that matter. If using another browser solves your problem, you can be sure that the problem is related to your browser. In this case, we would recommend changing your browser’s settings back to default. If that doesn’t work, try uninstalling and then reinstalling the browser you are using.
If you have already tried switching browsers and are still getting the same error or are still unable to browse the internet, the problem might not be related to your browser. In that case, try deactivating the firewall of your windows. Don’t worry, we will turn the firewall on later. We just want to know if the DNS server not responding error has anything to do with the firewall. To do this, follow the steps below:
1) Type control panel in the start menu and click on the control panel app option to open it.
2) Click on Windows Defender Firewall
3) Select the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off option.
4) Turn Firewall off for all 3 options.
Now head back into your browser and hit refresh. If the error goes away, the problem was probably with the website you were trying to access. That website might not be secure and your computer’s firewall, in trying to protect, you blocked access to it. We would recommend not visiting that website. If, however, you still need to, we recommend turning on your firewall back on once you have conducted your business with the website in question.
You have tried the first two solutions and the error still isn’t going away. Time to get physical. Try restarting your router. There are two ways to do this.
Your situation: Solutions 1, 2 and 3 are not making the DNS server not responding error go away. Time to get a little bit technical. You have to change your DNS server now (don’t worry it’s easy and we guide you step by step).
1) Go to control panel
2) Click Network and Internet (you might get this screen or the next one. If you are not getting this one, move on to the next one)
3) Click Network and Sharing center
4) Now click on Change adapter settings
5) Click on the type of connection you are using (WLAN in case of WiFi and LAN in case of a cable connection) and select Properties
6) Select the type of IP you are using (mostly it’s IPv4). Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) as shown in the image.
6) You will see that by default, the option Obtain DNS server address automatically is selected.
7) Click ‘Use the following DNS server addresses‘ and enter the DNS number you want to use. A good option is to go for Google’s DNS server. Just type 220.127.116.11 as Preferred DNS server and 18.104.22.168 as Alternative DNS server as shown in the image below.
8) Click ok and you are done.
Now head back into your browser and try reloading the website you were trying to access. If it’s working, problem solved. If not, the problem is not from your end but with the website you are trying to access. It might be temporarily down and you can try visiting it again later.
Still having trouble? Whether it’s a DNS server not responding error or some other problem, let us know in the comments below and we will reply ASAP to help you figure it out. Also, if this guide proved helpful or you want us to write an article on some other topic, kindly let us know in the comments below.