Do you know which CMS platform to use to design your website? You may easily create a website using a CMS (Content Management System) platform without knowing any coding (at least for most of them). There are many CMS solutions available. Therefore choosing the ideal CMS for your needs may take time and effort. In this post, we’ll discuss why it’s important to choose the right CMS platform for your website. We’ll also provide our top CMS platforms recommendations along with a comparison.
Table of Contents
What is a CMS Platform?
A content management system (CMS) is software that allows non-technical individuals to generate, manage, and update website content.
It is an application that allows you to create a website without writing all the code. The best CMS platform tools also ensure your security and scalability requirements, enabling flexible websites.
This article discusses the top 10+ content management systems in detail. Before we explore the advantages and disadvantages of these platforms, let’s first look at some of their benefits.
CMS Platform Benefits for Small Businesses
Accessibility and Simplicity
Using these CMS systems might be advantageous for those lacking technical knowledge. Redesigning your website’s layout and adding material is simple. Some plans can include online tutorials that show beginners how to use complex features. The majority of the top CMS platforms are online. As a result, you don’t need to install additional software to change and update your website from any computer with an internet connection.
You may assign tasks to various individuals or departments within your business using top CMS systems. Workflows, approval processes, and permissions may all be set up. The best CMS platforms provide workflow tools that allow users to access, share, preview, and approve information. Additionally, the best CMS platforms let you design rules that ensure content writers include all necessary data to comply with standards.
Easy to Customize
Increase the number of functions available by using plugins and extensions. Additionally, changing the general appearance and layout is simple by installing a new theme.
The best CMS for small businesses enables easy content addition and removal. All changes will be automatically implemented. As a result, you do not have to approve each step manually. Furthermore, you may automate website updates. To secure your data, several CMS platforms also provide additional security features.
Optimized for SEO
Search for plugins and tools to help your website rank higher in search engines. These tools are updated regularly to reflect changes in search engine algorithms.
How to Choose a CMS Platform
Consider the following factors when choosing a CMS platform for your website.
The top content management system must be scalable to grow with your company and update as needed. Look for a CMS that can manage the requirements of a growing site.
Having a customer support team that is always available to you is essential.
According to your needs, website design templates have to be adaptable.
Find a CMS with a simple user interface to use without any technical expertise.
Many CMSs provide free basic versions. For extensions and template designs, you would have to pay. Make sure you stay within your budget and be specific with your pricing.
Compatibility with Other Software
You require a CMS that can interface with other content management systems to develop a customized marketing plan and gain insights into users’ web activities.
10+ Best CMS Platforms in 2023
Let’s analyze the best CMS platforms available while considering the above factors.
WordPress.org is the greatest CMS platform. It is the world’s most widely used CMS software, and it supports 43% of all websites on the internet.
It’s important to differentiate between WordPress.org and WordPress.com. WordPress.org is a free, open-source content management system (CMS) that was first created for blogging but is now used by various websites and online retailers. A platform for hosting blogs is WordPress.com.
- WordPress gives you the adaptability and flexibility to create any website (online store, auction site, membership site, etc.).
- It doesn’t call for any technological know-how or coding expertise. Designing attractive pages for your website with the WordPress block editor is quite simple.
- You are entirely free to monetize your website any way you see fit.
- WordPress offers many themes and plugins, both commercial and unpaid. These enable you to include a variety of practical add-ons on your website, like photo galleries, contact forms, and much more.
- WordPress has excellent search engine optimization capabilities (SEO). Creating URLs, categories, and tags for your posts that are search engine friendly is simple.
- Because of its extensive flexibility, WordPress is the perfect CMS platform for beginners and developers.
- WordPress offers an XML download option for all of your content, making it simple to switch to another platform in the future if you so desire.
- You’ll need to set up your hosting and domain name and be in charge of things like security and backups.
- Because WordPress provides so many options and freedom, getting started might be overwhelming. For this reason, many new users of WordPress use drag-and-drop page builder plugins.
HubSpot CMS Hub
One of the most fully integrated content management systems available in HubSpot, CMS Hub is made specifically for marketers and company owners. CMS Hub is an excellent option for developing businesses and huge corporations looking for an all-in-one system to manage their website because it is built on top of HubSpot’s CRM platform, which contains a variety of marketing automation, sales, service, and operations features.
- You may still use the HubSpot website builder if you need more technical knowledge. They simplify developing and optimizing your site content with their drag-and-drop editor, integrated SEO tools, and contact attribution.
- They include smart content capabilities that let you customize your website page to certain users or bigger groups of people.
- Developers may update assets more quickly thanks to cloud hosting functionalities, adaptable theme choices, and command line tools.
- A worldwide CDN, a Web Application Firewall, and a specialized security team are all included with CMS Hub as built-in security measures to protect your website against DDoS assaults, hackers, and other abnormalities.
- The HubSpot CMS is integrated with its sales CRM and email marketing tool.
- There is a free trial available, but there is no free version.
- E-commerce websites need to be better suited to HubSpot CMS. The good news is that WooCommerce and WordPress can be easily integrated.
Joomla is another famous free, open-source CMS platform that comes with a variety of themes and plugins. Although you’ll require hosting and a domain name, using it is free. According to our CMS market share analysis, most websites are powered by Joomla.
Like WordPress, it was initially made available in 2005. Thus it has been around for a while. With so many features, Joomla can be installed with only one click on various web hosting. It’s not an excellent option for beginners, but it’s a great CMS platform for programmers and experienced website designers.
- Joomla provides a great deal of flexibility and alternatives. If you’re creating anything complex or custom, it’s an excellent option.
- Even if you never plan to touch a line of code, you may still use Joomla because it benefits developers. Content editing is simple.
- Similar to WordPress, Joomla is open source, and if you run into problems, there is a ton of community help accessible.
- There are extensions for running an online store on Joomla so that you can do so.
- Even Joomla fans would acknowledge that it is difficult. You should work with a developer depending on what you want to accomplish with it.
- There are only a few choices for more extensions. If you’re used to a content management system (CMS) like WordPress, which includes thousands of free themes and plugins that increase the basic functionality, Joomla may disappoint you.
- There can be some compatibility problems if several different extensions and modules are installed.
With Drupal, an open-source content management system, you can create a fully customizable website that handles a lot of data.
Drupal-based sites offer excellent levels of security and are tough to hack. It helps with migrating an existing Drupal site and offers free installation. You should always have the most recent version installed on Drupal for optimal performance.
- Excellent for websites with a lot of pages
- There is community support available.
- Give users a convenient method to communicate with social media
- You may utilize a variety of modules to enhance your website.
- It’s challenging to update your website’s appearance
- High-priced custom themes
- Only PayPal and Authorize.net are accepted as payment methods by your online business.
Wix is a platform that is simple to use and offers a free plan. Its adaptable drag-and-drop builder makes it simple to construct pages that suit your preferences.
- Optimize all mobile sites automatically.
- Installs all security updates automatically
- Many pre-made templates are available
- Many pre-made templates are available
- Once selected, templates cannot be changed
- It isn’t easy to download and export data
Without any coding experience, PyroCMS provides a wide range of choices for content creation, from big, international websites to small specialized businesses. There are no potentially harmful plugins available.
- You may control your websites wherever you want because it is compatible with cell phones.
- The layout and content of your website are more in your hands.
- It’s simple to design apps and then convert them into different languages.
- The dashboard’s simplicity and thoughtful design make programming more approachable and simple.
- No documentation
- Scalability issues with complex corporate apps
CMS Made Simple
CMS made simple is an open-source content management system (CMS) that may be used to build and manage websites and online applications. While developers will find it helpful in producing highly customized web pages and applications, editors will find it easy to use.
- Easy-to-use CMS
- The best CMS for small businesses
- Completely adaptable templates
- Many outdated modules
- Native support for international websites is missing
With its cost-effective ability to manage both big and small websites, Silverstripe offers highly customizable coding solutions. You may rapidly create web pages with many designs.
- Using various tools, it’s simple to modify your site
- Support for search engine optimization (SEO) makes it simple to get visitors to your website.
- Free and open-sourced
- Not suitable for beginners
- Discovering answers to odd situations that need to be covered in the tutorials is challenging.
Businesses of all sizes and sectors may benefit from the platform. It allows these businesses to interact with and keep customers.
Sitefinity is perfect in a fast-paced marketing environment since it can optimize multichannel experiences.
- With drag-and-drop editing, marketers can create and manage excellent content more rapidly.
- Information that can help consumers have a better experience
- 360-degree client view
- Unsatisfactory customer service
- Not logical
- Sometimes, pages become mistakenly locked
It allows better speed and scale than other leading CMS systems, helping thousands of companies globally in managing digital experiences for their consumers across several channels.
You may share your content globally by using Contentful’s APIs. You may also change how your material is organized and use your choice’s frameworks and programming languages.
- Easy integration of API
- Friendly arrangement
- Transparent data structure
- Quicker than other CMS for small businesses at loading
- It takes a while to make new pages
- There are a certain amount of content types that you can display on a single page
This program has a professional look. Numerous themes and layouts are offered and are organized by industry. Squarespace can build a stunning website without coding or a challenging backend. One of the greatest CMSs for small businesses.
- With the use of drag-and-drop technology, templates may be edited.
- It interacts with Getty Images to facilitate image sourcing
- You need to increase your plan to sell things starting at $40 per month.
- Lack of phone support
- Absence of third-party app support
Which CMS Platform is the Best?
The world’s top CMS platform and the website builder is WordPress.org. WordPress powers over 43% of all websites on the internet, and there’s a solid reason for it. WordPress is the ideal platform for a content management system. Starting is simple, and many WordPress hosting providers include a one-click installation option. Using plugins, you can increase functionality in virtually any way you imagine (like WordPress apps). You can operate nearly anything on WordPress, including an online store, a forum, a learning management system, a membership site, an auction site, a marketplace, and more.
There are no limitations on what you can do with WordPress, and you can quickly change your hosting to a managed WordPress hosting business if you discover that your site needs more space as it expands.
Is it possible to use a CMS platform without a domain or hosting?
Every website requires hosting. This is sometimes offered by the company that established the platform (like with Blogger), and other times it is purchased from an independent web host (like when using WordPress).
When starting a blog on a free platform like Blogger or WordPress.com, you may use a free subdomain like yourname.blogspot.com. However, this doesn’t appear very professional, so you’ll likely want to acquire a domain name sometime.